Wednesday, December 5, 2012

#Reverb12 #4 Music

Thanks again to Hope for the prompt, Did you discover a favourite song or musical artist in 2012?

James Blackshaw.  I like the solo guitar style made prominent by John Fahey, Leo Kottke, Robbie Basho and others I'm probably not familiar with, and Blackshaw's work seems like a worthy extension of that idiom. 

Here is a video of Blackshaw playing on the street.  I'm not sure of the date, it was probably filmed in the past few years, the sounds of the street complement the guitar playing.  I also like when he dryly says "Cut" at the finish.

The Broken Hourglass is another performance that resonates with me, I listen to it a lot and love the emphasis and dynamics.  It's a big sound and at the same time there's a lot happening.

There's also the Cloud of Unknowing.  Blackshaw has an album of the same name though I like this live version a little more, it has a staccato quality in some places not heard in the other.

Hard to choose since there's so much of his work that I like, but here's Boo, Forever.  I don't know what the instrument is that accompanies him in the final minutes.  

Why?  Something about his playing changes something in my being, I'm not sure what it is.  


No comments:

Post a Comment